Wednesday, June 6, 2012

The tale of two birds.


About a month ago I was thrilled to see a robin building a nest on the eves of our porch.  It was in the perfect location - near our porch swing that each morning the boys and I sit on as we wait for the school bus to arrive.  The thought of a nest and baby birds chirping away as we sat on our porch made me smile.

For a few of days, we saw the momma bird sitting in the nest and occasionally she would fly off, only to return moments later.  The boys were eager each morning to go out to see our bird.  It added a bit of excitement to our mornings.  The bird's nest and the anticipation of new life, felt hopeful, fresh and anew!  

And then, one day we noticed that there wasn't any activity in the nest.  That day, and a few days following, after the boys hopped on the school bus, I sat on the porch quietly, watching for the bird to return to her nest, but she never returned. 

The nest was abandon.

The boys were curious about why the bird left.  They hypothesized that maybe she didn't lay any eggs, or maybe something scared her off, or maybe she made a better nest elsewhere.  They wanted to know why she was gone.  I told them that I didn't know why she abandon her nest but that sometimes, that just happens.

The answer seemed to satisfy them, but, I have to admit, I was a bit sad that our bird was gone.  There wasn't going to be chirping baby birds.  It surprised me that I was disappointed about a silly little bird - but I was.  And, in some weird way, it almost, almost, felt like a bad omen.

Fast forward to yesterday, when I noticed out of the corner of my eye, a bird flying into our wisteria-covered trellis.

And sure enough, there is another nest. 


This time it is the nest of a sweet momma Mourning Dove.

Perhaps, we will actually have baby birds in our midst soon!

The boys are excited.

And, I admit it...I am too!




 

No comments:

Post a Comment