Saturday, April 14, 2012

Day 105 - Maybe I am getting old...

Recently we have been gifted a treasure of VHS tapes of at least 50 movies.  So today, I pulled out the VCR, hooked it up to the TV, and the boys and I watches a couple of good old school movies.

First up, The Love Bug (the original).

I remember, as a child, going to the drive-in with my siblings and parents to see The Love Bug.  I have fond memories of giggling my way through the entire movie.  And the movie, again, did not disappoint.  Alex and Owen loved it!  They fell in love with Herbie.  I mean seriously, who doesn't love Herbie?!!?

Next Up, Aladdin.

They had never seen this Disney classic and soon they were mesmerized by Prince Ali, Abu and Jasmine.  And I was cracking up at Robin Williams as the Genie. 

We had fun, hanging out watching movies, and eating popcorn. 

But, for me, the funniest part was their curiousity about the VCR and VHS tapes. 

"What's that machine, Mom?"
"Why is that video so big?"
And, as I was rewinding the tape, "What are you doing?" and "What is that noise?"

I could help but laugh.  I remember, as a teenager, when my family got our first VCR how excited we were.  It was amazing technology!  We were thrilled to be able to rent movies, invite friends over and have a party.  I remember conversations about how the VCR was going to replace the movie theatres.

The VCR was a big deal!

And now, it is NOT a big deal.  It is obsolete and old-fashioned.

Yet, it doesn't seem that long ago.

But for my boys, the VCR is ancient history.

Maybe I am getting old!




No comments:

Post a Comment