Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Day 39 - Saying YES in more ways than one.

I am not a political person.  In our house, CSPAN is a channel that never, ever, gets air time.  And candidates for political office tend to annoy me - regardless of their political affiliation.  Politics just isn't my thing.

However, education IS my thing.

I value learning and believe in public education.  I support the schools and I think that every child has the right to an excellent education.

Mostly, in my brain, I can keep education separate from politics.  And I am good with that.

But right now, in my town, with a school levy on the ballot (for the second time), education and politics have collided.

And, although politics is not my thing, I surprised myself and said yes to co-chairing a school levy committee for my city. 

BUT...I am a busy person.  I have a lot of stuff going on in my life...I do not want to add another thing!  And did I mention, that politics is NOT my thing?!!?  A levy committee - EGADS!

So, you might be wondering, Why did I say yes?  (truth be told, at times I wonder that same question...)

I said YES, because I believe in public education.
I said YES, because our children's schools are excellent and I want them to stay that way.
I said YES, because the quality of our school directly impacts the quality of our community.
I said YES, because if this levy does not pass, significant cuts will be made to my children's educational opportunities.
I said YES, because I felt an obligation, as a parent, to step up and help out.
I said YES, because I realized that simply voting YES is not enough.
I said YES, because I believe that I might be able to make a difference.

Will I make a difference?  I do not know.

But do know that if I do nothing, I will absolutely, positively NOT make a difference.

And, for me, this is too important to not try.  So I said Yes!

What might you say YES to?
(even if it isn't really your thing)




ps:  Oh, I would remiss if I didn't add...if you are in Middleburg Heights, Brook Park, or Berea, PLEASE say YES to Issue 7 on March 6th (or by early ballot)!

No comments:

Post a Comment