Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Day 52 - Children's Book Favs


Today, my mom sent me a newspaper article that listed the top 100 books for children, as ranked by Scholastic Parent & Child magazine.

This prompted me to think about children's books I love.  And, so today I am going to share with you some of my favorites (in no particular order) and why I enjoy these books!

On Beyond Zebra
by Dr. Seuss
I love that it challenges kids to think outside of the box!

When I Grow Up
by Al Yankovich
Great message about all the possibilities!

But not the Hippopotamus
by Sandra Boynton
Whimsical and funny.
And because when Owen was younger he giggled each and every time I read it to him (which was a lot)!

Sarah's Little Ghosts
by Thierry Robberecht
I love message about the importance of honesty and the sweet way in which it is told.

I'm Gonna Like Me
by Jamie Lee Curtis
Self-Esteem booster and great conversation starter.

The Caboose Who Got Loose 
by Bill Peet
Fun, imaginative adventurous tale!

The Whingdindilly
by Bill Peet
Great message about being exactly who you are, instead of wishing to be someone else.

Farewell to Shady Glade
by Bill Peet
Fun adventure!

Shades of People
by Shelley Rotner and Shelia M. Kelly
Love the descriptions of different skin colors and was another great conversation starter.
Plus adorable pictures of my friends' daughters are in this book!

Rotten Teeth
by Laura Simms
Imaginative and gross - in a wonderful way.

Hooray for Fish!
by Lucy Cousins
I love how the words are weaved in this story.

Horton Hears a Who
by Dr. Seuss
Because, "A person's a person no matter how small."

Piggie Pie!
by Margie Palatini
Fun for adults to read yet silly enough for children.

What Do People Do all Day?
by Richard Scarry
Great reference book for explaining our world.

The Little Engine that Could
by Watty Piper
Who doesn't like the little blue engine?!!?

One Morning in Maine
by Robert McCloskey
Great story about losing a first tooth.

Make Way For Ducklings
by Robert McCloskey
I love the perspective of the ducks in the city.

Harold and the Purple Crayon
by Crockett Johnson
The moon is always there guiding Harold adventures.

An Awesome Book of Thanks
by Dallas Clayton
Whimsical, fun, and awesome message of gratefulness.

Beautiful Oops!
by Barney Satzberg
Celebrates the joy of mistakes.

That's my list - but I am not sticking to it...
I am sure I will wake in the middle of the night kicking myself because I didn't include others...

What are your favorite Children's Books?
And, why?

 



No comments:

Post a Comment