Thursday, February 9, 2012

Day 40 - The little engine...

Remember the story of The Little Engine That Could?

The story starts off..

"Chug, chug, chug.  Puff, puff, puff.  Ding-dong, ding-dong.  The little train rumbled over the tracks.  She was a happy train for she had such a jolly load to carry.  Her cars were filled full of good things for boys and girls."

It sounds wonderful!  But as we all know, that happy train engine breaks down.  And fortunately, for the boys and girls, the little blue engine shows up and saves the day.  It's a wonderful story with a powerful message.

But, have you ever wondered what happened to that happy-now-broken-down engine?  She started off so excitedly.  So energetically.  So...well, Happy! 

That is what I felt like in January.  My chug was in gear and going strong, my puff was a happy one and I was ding-donging all day long!  But now, in February, my chug is sputtering, my puff is more of a sigh, and my ding-dong sounds like its battery is about to die. 

I see other trains puffing away beside me chanting "I think I can, I think I can..."  I have even seen some celebrating at the top of the mountain!  And, I am thrilled for them!

But, in this moment, I feel like that broken down engine sitting at the bottom of the mountain.  I have run out of steam.

I need to refuel.  I need a tune up.  I need for this lack of momentum to be OK for now.  And I need the mountain to look smaller.

So, (inhale a deep powerful breath) I will allow myself this time to breathe.  I will refuel by gathering my support systems, finding my inspiration and motivation, and believing in myself (again, and again, and again...).  I will refine my goals and expectations of myself.  And, instead of only seeing the steep mountain, I will look at the next few railroad ties in front of me, and focus on simply moving forward...(I think I can, I think I can...)

Because I want to be the engine who starts and finishes this journey!




No comments:

Post a Comment